Guisachan House

Guisachan House

ID: PAWA0000396-A0000401(D) DESCRIPTION: Painting of Guisachan House. The original house on Guisachan Estate, in upper Strathglass, was burnt down by the Duke of Cumberland's troops in 1745. William Fraser 9th of Guisachan inherited the estate on his father's death in 1755 and built a new mansion house. The estate was subsequently sold to Lord Tweedmouth in 1855. By 1962 Guisachan House was a ruin. This painting appears to show the original Guisachan House that was destroyed in 1745 as photographs of the present ruin show the same landscape but a smaller building. Guisachan is from the Gaelic "giuthais" meaning pine trees This image can be purchased. For further information about purchasing and prices please email the Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID. PLACENAME: Guisachan Estate DISTRICT: Aird OLD COUNTY/PARISH: INVERNESS: Kilmorack CREATOR (AV): David Whyte Studio SOURCE: Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG) COLLECTION: David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive Asset ID: 21489 KEYWORDS: