Interior of Achnacarry House

Interior of Achnacarry House

ID: PAWA14396B DESCRIPTION: This drawing room was photographed in 1939. It is in Achnacarry House, home of the Camerons of Lochiel. Today the room is used as a dining room. Achnacarry lies between Loch Arkaig and Loch Lochy. The original building on the site of the house dates from around 1655. It was burnt in 1746 after the Battle of Culloden. The house was rebuilt in 1802 to a design by James Gillespie Graham. During World War II, Achnacarry, or 'Castle Commando' as it was sometimes known, was used as a commando training centre This image can be purchased. For further information about purchasing and prices please email the Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID. PLACENAME: Achnacarry DISTRICT: Lochaber OLD COUNTY/PARISH: INVERNESS: Kilmallie CREATOR (AV): David Whyte Studio DATE OF IMAGE: 1939 PERIOD: 1930s SOURCE: Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG) COLLECTION: David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive Asset ID: 21601 KEYWORDS: